Saturday, March 29, 2008

The First Time

When I was about 10 years old my mother hauled my sister, brother, and me to the county clinic to get a set of vaccinations before starting the school year. After herding us through the line for an hour or so, we got to meet the young nurse enjoying her duties at her very first job. As the eldest child, I went first to set a good example for my siblings. I sat in the chair and took the shots well. I remember it being quick and easy. I got up and my sister sat in the chair ready to follow my lead.

I fell over on the floor out like a light white as a ghost. My mother and the nurse got me back awake with my feet propped up and cold paper towels on my face. My sister was upset and crying about me piling up, but otherwise took her shots without a problem. My little brother got in the chair next for his shots. He did fine until the needle hit his arm and then he reached up fast as lightning, snatched the whole hypo out of the nurse's hand and took that thing out of his arm. That pretty much ruined her day.

Of course, I know all of this story after the midway point by the retelling over the years and not from actual memory because I was out on the floor at the time.

No comments: