Friday, July 18, 2014

Paleo

Modern Paleo Principles

A "paleo" approach to health uses the evolutionary history of homo sapiens, plus the best of modern science, as a broad framework for guiding daily choices about diet, fitness, medicine, and supplementation. The core of paleo is the diet: it eschews grains, sugars, and modern vegetable oils in favor of high-quality meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables.

I have followed the Paleo diet plan for 2.5 years. My doctor is not excited about how I eat, but he is happy with the results: my weight has been stable between 205 and 215 for 1.5 years from a peak of 245; my cholesterol numbers have all moved toward the 'good' values; my migraines are under control; and most other health measures are good. He still cringes when I tell him I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast nearly every day.

No comments: